How to use insulin pen? Insulin pen looks like a pen, easy to carry, simple injection, can save a lot of trouble for diabetics. But it is still relatively new to first-time users. So, how to use insulin pen? What are the precautions? Let's learn together.
1. Types of insulin pens:
Reusable insulin pen: After the refill is used up, replace the refill and use it again. The insulin pen can be used for many years or even for life. Such insulin pens are currently available in my country.
Disposable insulin pens: Some insulin pens are disposable. After use, throw away the pen with the core and replace with a new pen. This type of insulin pen is simple and hygienic. At present, there are few such insulin pens in my country.
Second, the injection process of insulin pen:
The specific process of the injection is as follows: during the injection, the left hand gently picks up the skin at the injection site, and the right hand holds an insulin pen to directly pierce the needle into the pinched skin and push the liquid medicine. After the injection, the thumb is removed from the dose knob, the needle stays under the skin for more than 10 seconds, then the needle is pulled out, and the needle eye is pressed with a dry cotton swab for more than 3 minutes. After the injection is completed, the insulin pen should put on the inner needle cap, unscrew the needle, discard the discarded needle, and put the pen cap back on.
3. Precautions for using insulin pen:
1. The insulin pen and insulin refill should be matched for use
At present, the pen-type insulin syringes sold on the domestic market include Novo Pen and Wanhai Pen. Patients must first know which manufacturer's insulin pen they are using, and then they must use the matching insulin refill produced by that manufacturer. Prepare insulin, needle, insulin pen, medical 75% alcohol, medical swab before injection.
2. Check the properties and expiration date of the medicine liquid in the refill and install the refill and needle
Check the properties of the liquid medicine in the refill, to see if there is any increase in crystals, flocs, viscosity, and whether it exceeds the expiration date. The needle should be used once in principle. This new type of needle has a thin diameter and a sharp needle. At the same time, it is also coated with a thin silicon coating for lubrication (reducing friction with the skin and reducing pain during injection).
Because of this, the wall of the needle is also very thin, which reduces the strength of the needle and can only meet the requirements of a single injection. If repeated use will cause burrs and barbs on the needle, it will not only increase the pain during injection, but also may cause skin bleeding and increase the chance of skin infection. Even the needle may break in the skin. In order to avoid infection, some patients wipe the needle with an alcohol cotton ball. This method not only cannot avoid infection, but also damages the silicon coating on the needle and increases the pain during injection.
Put the pen upright, turn the dose selection knob to "1" and then push it to the "0" position to expel a drop of insulin. If no liquid is discharged, please repeat this procedure until a drop of insulin is discharged. If using medium-acting insulin and pre-mixed insulin, the medicine should be mixed upside down to exhaust. It must be vented each time a new refill and needle are installed.
4. Select parts and disinfect
Common injection sites for insulin are: abdomen (5 cm side navel), lateral upper arm, lateral middle thigh, buttocks. In order to prevent fat atrophy or hypertrophy, the injection site should be rotated, such as in the left upper arm for a period of time and then replaced with the abdomen or buttocks and then injected for a period of time. It should be noted that the rate of insulin absorption in different parts is different. In order to effectively and smoothly control blood sugar, a single part rotation can be performed, that is, multiple injections are sequenced at the same part for a period of time. At this time, the distance between the two injections should be greater than 2 cm to avoid injections in spots or indurations. After selecting the part, disinfect it with 75% alcohol and dry it.
Before each injection must be checked whether there is a sufficient dose of insulin. If the injected insulin is a suspension, the insulin pen should be turned upside down about ten times until the drug solution becomes a uniform white suspension before injection. Long-acting basal insulin comes as a clear solution and can be injected directly, which brings great convenience to patients. When injecting, the left hand gently picks up the skin at the injection site, the right hand holds an insulin pen to directly pierce the needle into the pinched skin, and push the drug solution. After the injection is completed, the thumb is removed from the dose knob and the needle stays under the skin 10 For more than 2 seconds, then pull out the needle and press the eye with a dry cotton swab for more than 3 minutes.
6. Treatment after injection and preservation of insulin
After the injection, put on the inner needle cap, unscrew the needle, discard the discarded needle, and put the pen cap back on. In general, unopened insulin refills can be stored at 2℃～8℃ (in refrigerator), and the refills filled in insulin pens can be stored at room temperature (less than 25℃) for 1 month after opening. Insulin refills cannot be frozen, and the frozen insulin liquid is likely to lose biological activity. The insulin pen cannot be exposed to sunlight. In general, the validity period of various insulin pens after leaving the factory is generally 1 to 2 years.
Four, the advantages of insulin pen:
1. Convenient, eliminating the cumbersome process of using a syringe to draw insulin from an insulin vial. Patients do not need to bring a lot of items such as syringes, insulin bottles, disinfectant cotton pads, etc., but only need to bring a small "pen".
2. The insulin injection process is simpler and concealed, which avoids the embarrassment of patients injecting insulin in public. Some people even use one hand to complete the insulin injection under the table, but the people at the table are unaware.
3. Inject insulin for patients with poor vision or even blindness. We know that poor eyesight cannot use a syringe to draw insulin and inject it. Because the operation of the insulin pen is simple, and there is a clear "click" sound when setting the dose, even if the eyesight is poor, the insulin pen can be used for injection after training.
4. The insulin dosage is more precise, and the insulin dosage can be adjusted in 1 unit. The syringe is generally accurate to a minimum of 2 units.
5. It is basically painless. The needle is thinner than the needle of a special insulin syringe. Some patients think that there is basically no pain after use.
Add：128 Qingyang South Road, Hutang Town, Wujin District, Changzhou City, Jiangsu Province